Friday, August 14, 2009

Inside (Directed by Alexandre Bustillo) on dvd.


I was thinking extra hard about which movie I should use for my first official "horror movie review." It had to be something that could summarize the type of horror movie I enjoy, without being an overly Hollywood "blockbuster," which can be hit or miss (mostly miss). So, I thought, what better movie than the French import Inside? My first experience with said movie, out under Dimension Extreme, came back in April of 2008 when I picked it up by accident at my local video store. After reading the summary, looking at the still shots, I decided why the hell not! Needless to say, I was enthralled by this film. My wife and I had blown up the air mattress, popped some microwave popcorn and settled in on the floor in our living room, then hardly breathed for 82 minutes. It was a gut punch from out of nowhere. The movie is in French with English subtitles, which can sometimes take away from the movie-viewer connection, but with this movie the foreign language just adds to the feeling of utter hopelessness. Starring Beatrice Dalle (who should have won an award for most psychotic person ever captured on film), as a suspicious intruder at the home of a young pregnant woman played by Alysson Paradis (younger sister of Vanessa Paradis aka Mrs. Johnny Depp). What starts out as a possible burglar trying to take advantage of a single woman home alone, quickly turns into a nightmare of bloody violence that spirals out of control until the final scenes which were some of the most gruesome I have ever seen (and I've seen A LOT!). There is a much deeper story involved, amidst the death and dismemberment, but I don't want to give anything away. My only recommendation if you plan on renting Inside, if you are pregnant, know someone who is pregnant, or have been pregnant within the last six months, DO NOT RENT THIS MOVIE! Wait until you have no ties to anyone pregnant, you will thank me later. When you do go out and pick this movie up, which I highly suggest, be prepared for a relentlessly violent, emotionally scarring, gut wrenching, gore soaked glimpse into a woman's life that you will be thanking God when it's over for sparing you the horrors she had to face. When it comes to horror movies (which to me should be about hopelessness, blood, and unhappy endings) it doesn't get much better than Alexandre Bustillo's Inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment